Maria Montessori (1949) states, “The greatest sign of a success for a teacher…is to be able to say, “The children are now working as if I did not exist.” (p. 283) I picked this quote because in whatever classroom I end up in, I want the students experiencing learning rather than being filled with information. I want students to be able to have hands on learning experiences and learn in ways that work for them. The quote discusses “The children are now working as if I did not exist” (Montessori, 1949, 283), which is something I hope students are able to do when I’m teaching. I never wanted to be the teacher that stands at the front of classroom and ‘lectures’ the students. I’d rather they took on inquiry projects and have their learning guided by their interest and have the teacher just help alongside whenever they need assistance. The new BC curriculum is very student centered and student focused which allows for students to explore learning in a way that makes sense to them. They are able to take charge of their learning and teachers are able to provide them with the skills and processes they need to be successful. The teacher then becomes a ‘coach on the side’ and students can take ownership for their work and that’s what I want in whatever classroom I end up in. Students should feel confident with their accumulated learning and knowledge and not feel like information was shoved down their throats.

Resource

Montessori, M. (1949).The Absorbent Mind. The Theosophical Publishing House.